By my count I owe you three Regency gowns so this post makes one down, two to go!
I don’t actually recall what inspired this gown! I wanted to make something pink but that was as far as I had planned on this dress. My mom suddenly surprised me with two tickets to the Jane Austen Festival in Bath so I knew I needed two gowns very quickly. The van dyck points were actually my moms idea, although I don’t think she realized I would end up making so many!!
I started off by rounding the troops up and putting them in order. Not exactly sure why I ever thought these would be enough to go around the neckline but I did.
It became very clear to me that I would need more of these so I spent some time wrestling the fabric away from my brothers dog and once I successfully managed to explain that fabric does not = food I was able to cut more of these out. Unfortunately quite a few of these were lost when (once again) my brothers dog went fabric shopping.
I used the same trick my tutu teacher taught us last year. Don’t bother lifting the foot, keep stitching using the same thread.
After I cut them and turned them the plan was to sew an inch down each center, like so:
Same trick, one continuous thread:
. . . From here unfortunately I have no more photos to share. I was in the middle of packing to go back home and then when I got back I had to move into a new flat and didn’t really have time to make any photos. If you do have any questions please don’t hesitate to drop me a question in the comments and I will get right back to you!
This is probably the best photo I have of the neck detail. I hand stitched the van dycks to a velvet trim and attached a bit of edging to make sure my pearls would tie in nicely. My mom kindly loaned me her earrings from her wedding day which were so perfect and lovely (thanks mom!).
I will confess that I have a certain fondness for long trains on my gowns!
We stayed in the Rose room at the The Lavender House.
And finally my favorite photo: